photo by Anthony Bellov
The Harlem Reformed Low Dutch Church was founded in 1660. Its third house of worship was erected on the northwest corner of Boston Road (today's Third Avenue) and 121st Street in 1825. Designed by Martin E. Thompson, it was described by the Reformed Church in America a century later as "a frame colonial church." Its clapboard, neo-Georgian design was fronted by a dignified columned porch.
Martin E. Thompson's wooden church sat within a rural landscape. from the collection of the New York Public Library
In 1884 the once bucolic Harlem neighborhood was seeing rapid development. In an astonishing and highly difficult move, the trustees of the Harlem Reformed Low Dutch Church turned its structure on its axis. Its Greek-inspired portico now faced East 121st Street. (The new configuration left the valuable corner property vacant and ripe for lucrative developing.)
Reverend Joachim Elmendorf took the pulpit in 1886, at a time when the district's burgeoning population necessitated an additional Dutch Reformed congregation. A year earlier, construction had commenced of what would be called the Second Collegiate Church on West 123rd Street and Lenox Avenue. The Harlem Reformed Low Dutch Church was renamed the First Collegiate Church.
In 1893, the congregation commissioned architect John Ireland to design a multi-purpose parish house next door at 169-171 East 121st Street. Completed the following year, the L-shaped structure was design in the neo-Classical style. The western section hugged the property line, its second story taking the form of an imposing Greek temple. Here shallow Doric pilasters separated the tall, fully-arched openings below a modillioned triangular pediment. The building was accessed by an arched entrance flanked by paired Doric pilasters. The second floor of this section was dominated by arched windows embraced by a large arch.
The stone facade disguised the fact that the parish house and Sunday School building was built mostly of wood. The flammable material nearly caused its destruction at 6:05 on the evening of January 3, 1907. The Annual Report of the Committee on Fire Underwriters described the blaze that broke out in the "two story frame building" as a "prominent fire."
The parish house snuggled up to the western edge of the 1825 church building, which now faced 121st Street. New Harlem Past and Present, 1903 (copyright expired)
Reverend Joachim Elmendorf died on June 19, 1908 at the age of 81. It is unclear if he lived to see the renovations that would transform the parish house and Sunday School building into the congregation's worship space. The 1939 Reformed Church in America would recall that the "parish house...was rebuilt [in] 1907 and dedicated [in] 1908." With the renovations completed, Martin E. Thompson's magnificent 1825 church next door was razed.
In 1940, a vacant lot marked the site of the original church. The property remains a vacant lot today. via the NYC Dept of Records & Information Services.
Henry P. Hammoxan attended services here on Sunday night, May 30, 1909. But his presence was not prompted by religious piety, but by a drunken mistake. The New-York Tribune explained that he "thought when he went into the church and began to climb the stairs to the gallery that he was in the Sylvan lodging house, which is next door, and where he intended to sleep off the result of a day's hard work picking the lemon peel out of high balls."
Suddenly the service was interrupted by a horrific crash that caused some worshippers to think, according to the New-York Tribune, "the gallery was falling down." Just as Henry Hammoxan made his way to the top step, the organ bellowed the first notes of a hymn. So startled was the inebriated Henry "that he just fell back and went downstairs end over end." He suffered a broken ankle and was taken to Harlem Hospital.
On November 2, 1911, The New York Times reported that the Harlem Collegiate Reformed Church was "to change its corporate name to the Reformed Church of Harlem." The Second Collegiate Church now took that name and the First Collegiate Church was renamed the Elmendorf Chapel. The New-York Tribune explained, "it has been made a mission to the Lenox Avenue Collegiate Reformed Church, at 123d street."
The changing face of the Harlem neighborhood was reflected in a comment in the 1915 New York Charities Directory. The listing said that Elmendorf Chapel "maintains a gymnasium and industrial classes." Industrial classes provided instruction in skills that would provide young boys an income later in life--like woodworking and metal working, for instance.
Reverend Floyd Decker, who was installed in January 1912, was "active among the poor and sick of the upper East Side," according to the New-York Tribune. Born in Sussex County, New Jersey in 1878, he graduated from the New Brunswick Theological Seminary in 1901. Under his pastorship, the Elmendorf Chapel congregation provided aid to sick and indigent Harlemites. On the day before Thanksgiving in 1920, for instance, "food was distributed by children of the Sunday school," reported The New York Times.
On March 5, 1934, the congregation celebrated its 40th anniversary in the renovated building. In reporting on its rededication, The New York Times reminded readers that Elmendorf Chapel was "one of New York's oldest churches, tracing its origin back to 1665 [sic]."
At the time of the article, two congregants in particular had been long-time members. John G. Williams took the job of the church's organist and choir master in 1888. Never married, he was born around 1855 in New York City and "was a pupil of its leading piano and organ teachers of the time," according to The New York Times. The newspaper said, "Several generations of choir boys, in whom he took not only a professional but a personal interest, came under his guidance during his long service." In September 1941, Williams became ill and he died two weeks later after serving Elmendorf Chapel for 53 years.
Isaac D. Hammond became a sexton in 1890. Like Williams had done, he remained in his position until his death in February 1947 after 57 years of service.
In the second half of the century, the Elmendorf congregation became an independent church. Its name was again changed, now known as the Elmendorf Reformed Church.
Around 1668, the Low Dutch Reformed Church of Harlem established what a 1910 sketch described as "a negro burying ground" at around today's First Avenue between 126th and 127th Streets. As Harlem developed, the location was forgotten and in the 20th century a New York City Transit bus depot was erected on top of it. Then, early in the 21st century, interest was renewed. On January 19, 2009, The New York Times reported that the African burial ground was "awaiting discovery," saying, "There will be no way to know for certain until the soil is dug up, but the prospect of such a discovery is being greeted both anxiously and eagerly by a couple of stewards of Harlem history."
Among those speaking out was Reverend Patricia A. Singletary, pastor of the Elmendorf Reformed Church, who insisted that the site should be protected and commemorated should the cemetery be confirmed. She told The New York Times, "Remember, this site represents the beginning of Harlem's existence."
An archeological survey, indeed, confirmed that the former bus terminal sat upon the Low Dutch Reformed Church of Harlem's "negro burying ground." The Elmendorf Reformed Church joined with other groups to form the Harlem African Burial Ground Task Force to protect the site.
The Elmendorf Reformed Church continues its work in the former 1894 parish house. Displayed in the sanctuary is a bell, cast in the Netherlands in the 17th century.
many thanks to Anthony Bellov for suggesting this post


























.png)